Earlier this month at its annual Cornerstone Dinner, Preservation Houston recognized seventeen projects with the 2022 Good Brick Awards for their excellence and leadership in the preservation, restoration, and enhancement of Houston’s historic buildings. Alongside the Good Brick recipients, Bill Franks was awarded the Preservation Houston President’s Award for his outstanding contributions to historic preservation by facilitating the redevelopment of many historic buildings.
Since 1979, Good Bricks have been awarded to celebrate exceptional historic preservation efforts and the people who make them happen. A jury of preservation and design professionals including former Good Brick recipients selected a diverse set of projects, consisting of six projects with public components, two for the redevelopment of former industrial buildings, and eight private homes. The projects ranged from a towering Victorian villa, repurposed industrial buildings in the East End, to the world-renowned Rothko Chapel in Montrose.
The winners of 2022 Good Brick Awards are:
- Rothko Chapel was recognized for restoring its landmark modernist building (1971), designed by Philip Johnson, Howard Barnstone, and Eugene Aubry, in Montrose. Renovations were led by New York-based firm Architecture Research Office (ARO) and landscape was designed by Nelson Byrd Woltz. Read "Rothko Chapel wins Historic Designation" for a coverage by Mitchell J. Shields in Cite 50 about the chapel turning thirty back in 2001. Read “An Icon, Restored” by Jack Murphy in Cite for an in-depth coverage of the history and restoration of the chapel.
- St. Paul’s United Methodist Church was recognized for restoring its impressive neo-Gothic sanctuary (1930) in the Museum District.
- Hermann Park Conservancy and Houston Parks and Recreation Department for restoring and repurposing the Hermann Park Clubhouse (1933) designed by Arthur E. Nutter as Lott Hall, a special events space. Restoration by Curtis and Windham Architects and landscape design by Michael Van Valkenburgh Associates, who is also in charge of Hermann Park’s master plan.
- Rice University for rehabilitating one of the first buildings on the Rice campus, the neo-Byzantine Mechanical Laboratory (1912) by Cram, Goodhue, and Ferguson as Maxfield Hall. Renovation led by Stern and Bucek Architects.
- Radom Capital for rehabilitating the Star Engraving Co. Building (1930), the former home of Stages Repertory Theater on Allen Parkway, now renamed 3201 Allen. The project team consisted of Perkins + Will, interior designer Perrin Projects, landscape architect SWA Group, and preservation consultant MacRostie Historic Advisors. Read “Timely and Timeless” by Lindsey Chambers in Cite for an in-depth review of the restored building.
- Steve Zimmerman and Daniel Zimmerman for restoring La Colombe d’Or in the W.W. Fondren Mansion (1923) in Montrose.
- Andrew Kaldis/Kaldis Development for rehabilitating Cameron Iron Works (1935–46) as Ironworks, an innovative mixed-use development in the East End.
- Alex Woods/Soccer Shots Houston for repurposing the Gribble Stamp & Stencil Co. Building (1948) by C. R. Berry & Co. as an indoor space for a children’s soccer program. Repurposed by Harry Gendel Architects.
- Linda and John Thomas for restoring the Childress House (1937), a rare modernist home in River Oaks after a devastating fire.
- Jan Rynda Greer and Tyson Greer for restoring the Mansfield House (1899) in the Heights East Historic District, known to many as the longtime home of pioneer preservationist Bart Truxillo. Read “Unexpected City: Magnolia Brewery Building” by Truxillo in Cite for an account of one of his first preservation projects.
- Bruce Boatner for restoring a historic Craftsman-style house (c. 1907) in First Ward.
- Brian Miksch and Karen Sonnier for rehabilitating the B.J. Witt House (1914) in the Germantown Historic District.
- Nicole J. Simien for rehabilitating a late Victorian cottage (c. 1907) in the Near Northside.
- Neal and Karen Dikeman/Old Growth Ventures are receiving two Good Brick Awards—the first for rehabilitating a historic shotgun house (c. 1913) in Freedmen’s Town and the second for renovating the Carter-Milroy-Canfield Tenant Houses (1920) in the Heights West Historic District.
- The restoration of the R.M. Henderson House (1929) in River Oaks, one of the houses built by Katharine B. Mott, Houston’s first woman contractor and developer. Read “Modern Homecraft” by Stephen Fox in Cite 42 for a detailed account of Mott’s career and the houses she built.
These projects represent commercial and residential efforts of various scales, not only honoring the preservation efforts of individuals and institutions, but also celebrating those involved in the original construction of the works. Tours of this year’s winning projects, either in person or virtual, are expected to be announced later this year.
Mai Okimoto is Cite's Editorial Assistant and a M.Arch '22 candidate at Rice Architecture.